How do I get rid of a difficult tenant?

Dealing with difficult tenants can be challenging, but it’s important to approach the situation carefully and in accordance with the law to avoid legal issues.  We are here to help you manage your tenants.  Please feel free to reach out to us if you require any assistance in this regard.

Here are some steps you can take:

Remain Calm and Professional

Remaining calm and professional when dealing with difficult tenants is imperative. Avoid confrontational behaviour and threats, as this can escalate the situation.

Communicate Clearly

It’s important to start a conversation with your tenant about any issues you’re experiencing. Clearly outline the problems and work together towards a resolution.  In some cases, tenants may not be aware that their behaviour is causing issues.

Check the Tenancy Agreement

Check the terms of the tenancy agreement that both you and the tenant agreed to.  Look for any clauses that pertain to lease termination, eviction procedures, or lease violations.

Regular Inspections

Conduct regular inspections of the property to identify any problems early on.  Address any issues promptly.

Keep Written Records

Document all communication with the tenant, including dates, times, notices sent, and any incidents related to the tenant’s behaviour.  Depending on the nature of the issues, you may need to send a warning letter or a notice to remedy the situation within a specific timeframe. This record will be helpful if you need evidence later.

Rent Arrears

Keep records of rent payments and send receipts to tenants.  If rent is consistently unpaid, consider making a formal request in writing.

Consult with a professional

If the tenant continues to violate the tenancy agreement or if the issues are serious, then we recommend taking professional advice at the earliest opportunity. The professional can guide the best course of action which may include legal action, use of a bailiff or further negotiation.

Consider Mediation

In some cases, mediation can be an effective way to resolve disputes between landlords and tenants without resorting to eviction.  A neutral third party can help facilitate a discussion and find a mutually acceptable solution.  Our Dispute Resolution team are available to assist you.  [add link to DR team]

Serve appropriate notice

If all other attempts to resolve the situation have failed, and the tenant is still in violation of the tenancy agreement, you may need to serve some form of notice to quit through the appropriate legal channels.  Our professionals can advise if necessary and explore alternative solutions before taking drastic measures.

We can help you with any tenancy issues.  Please contact:

Posted on 29 April 2024
by Anthony Hicks

View Profile

Categories: News


Related articles

I have received a letter from a developer/ housebuilder/ promoter what should I do?

20 May 2024

This can be an indication of planning potential.  Whirledge & Nott’s Development team can advise on the planning potential and the best method of securing that potential whether by way of a planning application, planning representations or indeed entering into some form of joint venture agreement such as an option or promotion agreement. If you…

Alternative solutions to eviction

24 April 2024

Eviction should generally be considered a last resort, as it can be a time-consuming and costly process for both landlords and tenants.

What is a Promotion Agreement?

15 May 2024

A promotion agreement is a legally binding contract between a landowner and a developer.  It allows landowners to leverage a developer’s expertise to navigate the complexities of planning and maximise returns on their property. Promotion agreements are often used in residential developments and are particularly suitable for complex planning situations and longer-term projects. Developer’s Role: …